Manga and anime art as an art style is well established among us artists. If you are looking to take your traditional art skills to a digital format, you might become overwhelmed with all of the choices out there. There are countless software and apps available to artists of any skill level. In this post, I’m going to share with you the top five best apps for drawing anime and manga.
ibisPaint is an incredibly popular application for anyone who enjoys drawing manga and anime. What’s interesting about this application is that it is also a social media platform. This allows you to show off your skills to other artists.
- It’s Available for Free: ibisPaint is free to use, although it does come with ads and some locked features. You can purchase a prime membership to remove ads and unlock all brushes, filters, and extra features.
- It’s Easy to Create Manga: This app is designed for manga artists, which means it includes features such as screen tone brushes and a frame divider tool.
- It’s Part of a Community: ibisPaint is also a social media site, allowing you to connect with other artists.
- There Are Lots of Ads: While ibisPaint is available for free if you don’t feel like paying for the prime subscription, you’ll have to deal with a lot of distracting ads.
- It Can Be Overwhelming at First: ibisPaint has a lot of advanced features, which can be too complex if you’re a beginner to digital art.
- iPad, iPhone, and iPod
- Android smartphones and tablets
Clip Studio Paint
Clip Studio Paint is a great application if you are interested in creating professional artwork. It has a lot of features and a professional interface. It can be a bit complex for beginners but is an excellent choice for drawing anime and manga. If you have previously used Clip Studio Paint on your desktop pc, then you know that this app just has features for you.
- It’s Customizable: Clip Studio Paint is easily customizable, allowing you to create an interface that works best for your illustration process.
- It Has Lots of Features: Clip Studio Paint is filled with brushes, editing tools, and countless more features that make it ideal for drawing anime and manga.
- It Isn’t Free: If you are using your iPad, you will be given a free trial of Clip Studio Paint. After this free trial has expired, however, you will have to pay either five or ten dollars a month, depending on the version. For desktop users, however, you will only have to pay once.
- Manga Features Cost More: Clip Studio Paint EX has more features related to making comics, but it costs an extra five dollars every month.
- Not Recommended for Beginners: The complex setup of Clip Studio Paint makes it a poor choice for beginners.
Adobe Fresco is, essentially, a mobile version of Photoshop. It has lots of features, but it isn’t particularly unique in comparison to other illustration apps. Still, a lot of its features are especially good for manga and anime art.
- It Has Lots of Brushes: Adobe Fresco has many brushes that mimic traditional media, such as watercolor and oil paint.
- High-Quality Lineart: When illustrating for manga or anime, line art is an essential feature. Adobe Fresco has clean vector brushes that are perfect for line art.
- It’s Pricey: The full version of Adobe Fresco requires either a ten-dollar monthly subscription or a subscription to the Adobe Creative Cloud
- A Cluttered Interface: Adobe Fresco has a lot of menus and folders, which can make the app cluttered and overwhelming at times.
- Some versions of Windows
Procreate is a popular drawing app used by many manga and anime artists. It is especially beginner-friendly. While it may not have as many features as some drawing apps, it covers all the basics, and then some!
- It’s Well Worth the Price: Most drawing apps require a subscription, but Procreate is a one-time purchase of just ten dollars, which includes all future updates.
- It’s Perfect for Beginners: Procreate has a minimalist interface, so if you’re starting out with digital art, you won’t feel too overwhelmed by the tools.
- It Doesn’t Have a Lot of Features: Procreate doesn’t come with tons of brushes or tools, so most advanced artists should consider a more comprehensive application.
- It Can Be Hard to Get Used To: Procreate has a different design from most drawing apps, so it can be confusing to use at first. If you’re used to drawing programs looking a certain way, Procreate might be confusing at first glance. It does, however, become easier to use with practice.
Massively recommended online course to take with Procreate:
MediBang Paint is a great choice if you’re focused on creating comics. This app is good for anyone on a budget, and it’s also beginner-friendly. This is a perfect app for anyone new to digital art, but it isn’t recommended if you’re looking for an app that will help you make professional artwork.
- It Has Lots of Features for Creating Comics: MediBang Paint comes with lots of comic creation features, including comic panels and rulers.
- It Has a Customizable Layout: It’s easy to move around and collapse folders, so you can mold the interface to fit your drawing needs.
- It’s Free: Medibang Paint is free to use, although you will have to pay for certain features. Overall, however, the free version has plenty of features.
- It’s a Bit Buggy: MediBang Paint can be slow, clunky, and buggy on iPad, which can be frustrating while you’re trying to draw.
- It Can Be Difficult to Use: MediBang Paint doesn’t have a particularly intuitive interface, which can make it difficult to understand at first.
If you’re looking for the perfect app to make digital anime and manga art, you might be overwhelmed by just how many choices there are. It can take some time to find an app that fits your skill level, illustration needs, and budget, so we hope that this list helped you decide which app is right for you.
Procreate is one of the most favored drawing app among artists and is considered to be a top choice for all types of artists. Procreate offers an amazing selection of features and shortcuts for making art. Procreate can be considered the best drawing app for tablets.
Related article: 13 Best Art Software To Draw Anime And Manga Art